What FocalNova is
We’re a fine art community inspired by the mutual needs of both those seeking to discover great art, and artists who need a place to show off their talent. Our aim is to provide a high caliber venue for both. Perfect combination? We think so. It’s really that simple!
What FocalNova is not
We’re not a personal image host. We want to enable people to discover talented artists’ art. If you wouldn’t hang it in an art gallery, then you probably shouldn’t upload it to FocalNova.
And what’s so great about it
We focus specifically on fine art and the artists that create it. You won’t see a lot of flashy distractions and crappy images.
And here’s a whole list of other pluses you may notice:
- No cropping. We don’t trim the edges of pictures just so they will fit in our site layout. We show the whole picture. Every time.
- Quality. This is a high caliber site and we settle for nothing less than excellence. We hold ourselves to a high standard so that you may too.
- A consistent interface. No “How does this artist’s page work?” here.
- Speed. FocalNova is FAST! We’ve worked hard to optimize every conceivable aspect of the site so you can get to everything without waiting longer than absolutely necessary.
And we actually care! We want you to love discovering/sharing amazing works as much as we love providing a place to do so. We’ll do our best to listen to feedback and provide the best experience possible.
Amber was finishing art school and looking for an online portfolio. Chad wanted a better resource to discover and curate fine art. What started as a summer project to create an attractive art collection turned into an endeavor to create an open community of artists and art enthusiasts focusing specifically on fine art.
It’s currently just the two of us working in our spare time. Many hours at coffee shops and coworking spaces have led us to what you see now, and we have a lot of exciting ideas for the future!
- lone developer
- art enthusiast
- pie baker
- art dabbler
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is “fine art”?
- Fine Art
- Art produced or intended primarily or solely for its imaginative, aesthetic, or intellectual content rather than utility.
What is a “curation”?
A curation is simply a collection of pictures that you’ve chosen to include under a common name. Find the art you love and organize it into meaningful curation lists that you can view or share. It’s a lot like having your very own art gallery.
How can my art be featured on the front page?
Front page featured art selections are automatically chosen by popularity—which is calculated based on our special blend of member votes, curations, views, shares, time, etc. These calculations are refreshed many times throughout the day.
A great way to get your own art—or someone else’s art you think is amazing—promoted is to share it via your favorite social network. Click the share icon  and get that art voted for!
Are the pictures I upload “protected”?
By the copyright you choose, yes. You retain all rights to your work. And we do have a polar bear that sleeps in the server room. Otherwise, no.
This site is designed to share your work, not keep it bottled up. The last thing we want to do is “break the internet” by trying to lock down every image. And due to technical aspects of the internet it is impossible to truly protect digital works from being copied anyway. If it can be viewed, then it can be copied, period.
If you feel that your work needs more protection than we provide, we must regrettably suggest that you do not upload such pictures.
What licenses may I choose from?
The following Creative Commons licenses are currently selectable (from least to most restrictive). If you wish to suggest additional licenses, please let us know.
- No Rights Reserved
- Complete unrestricted usage.
- Lets others distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon your work, even commercially, as long as they credit you for the original creation. This is the most accommodating of licenses offered. Recommended for maximum dissemination and use of licensed materials.
- Lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work non-commercially, and although their new works must also acknowledge you and be non-commercial, they don’t have to license their derivative works on the same terms.
- Lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work even for commercial purposes, as long as they credit you and license their new creations under the identical terms. This license is often compared to “copyleft” free and open source software licenses. All new works based on yours will carry the same license, so any derivatives will also allow commercial use.
- Allows for redistribution, commercial and non-commercial, as long as it is passed along unchanged and in whole, with credit to you.
- Lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work non-commercially, as long as they credit you and license their new creations under the identical terms.
- The most restrictive of the six main CC licenses, only allowing others to download your works and share them with others as long as they credit you, but they can’t change them in any way or use them commercially.
All Rights Reserved
- All Rights Reserved
- The most restricted usage. Reserves all the rights provided by copyright law.
Does size really matter?
You bet it does!
Uploaded picture limits are currently set so that
- files may be up to 30MB.
- the width must be at least 2160 pixels.
- the height must be at least 2160 pixels.
As FocalNova grows, we’ll continue to change these limits for even higher quality content.
What is the policy on watermarking?
We highly discourage watermarking the pictures you upload. Don’t watermark, use metadata—which you should be using anyway, right?!
However, ultimately we feel that it is your right to watermark if you’re compelled that it is necessary. Note that if your watermark is too obnoxious your picture will likely be flagged and/or removed.
How can I view larger pictures?
Easy, just become a “Bona fide” member!
Visitors and “Free” members can only view pictures at a maximum resolution of 600 pixels. This helps decrease the load on our servers. “Bona fide” and “Curator” members always view pictures in their highest available resolution.*
*Based on the maximum resolution of the picture and your display.
What are the membership differences?
|View full-size pictures||✗||✓||✓|
Only “Free” accounts are available during the beta. Once we get some kinks ironed out and can offer more membership levels we’ll let you know.
Sign-up is easy, and takes only a moment.Sign Up
What should I put in my bio?
Whatever your heart desires.
- Here are a few ideas:
- Your artist statement
- Some zany anecdotes about you
- Your preferred contact info
- A haiku
- Your favorite color/hobbies
How do I change my profile picture?
Your profile picture is retrieved from Gravatar using the email you signed up with. You may add or change it there.
Why does the site look or act weird?
This site was built using 100% organic, free range code and is currently designed to work well with
- IE 10+
- Firefox 22+
- Safari 6.2+ (iOS 7+)
We log and occasionally review the user agents of devices that access the site. If we notice a significant amount of traffic from an unsupported browser we may take steps to accommodate it specifically. If there’s something else we’ve missed, please contact us so we can fix it.
If you haven’t already, please give the FAQ a quick skim before contacting us. You may get lucky and find your question already firstname.lastname@example.org
TERMS OF SERVICE
a.k.a. legal mumbo jumbo